Safety Alert: Computer use can be monitored and is impossible to completely clear. Therefore, viewing this website could place you in danger. If you're in danger, please use a safer computer, call our 24 Hour Hotline at (410) 889-7884 or the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE. If you are at a safer computer read for simple steps you can take to protect yourself.
Simple Steps to Help You Stay Safe
- We encourage victims to use a safer computer at a library, community center or even at a local domestic violence advocacy office. This is especially important when researching escape plans. Looking for bus tickets, shelter information and housing classified ads on a home computer can alert your abuser and increase your risk.
To find a community technology center near you visit www.ctcnet.org.
- If you bookmark this site or any other site about domestic violence your abuser can find out that you have been getting information on domestic violence. If you can, clear all cache/history files from your web browser. See instructions below for reducing the risk of this visit being traced.
Instructions for Internet Explorer
To delete temporary internet files, cookies (cryptic bookmarks that a Website can place on your computer to acknowledge your visit) and web addresses in your history:
For New Version of Internet Explorer:
1.Click on the tools menu on the right hand side of toolbar.
2. Select Delete Browsing History.
3. Select Delete All.
For older versions of Windows Explorer:
- On the menu at the top of the browser window, click on Tools>Internet Options...
- In the dialog window that opens, click on the "General" tab.
- In the section labeled "Temporary Internet Files", if you wish to delete all files and cookies, click on the "Delete Files..." button. A confirmation dialog will open asking if you want to delete all files in your temporary internet folder. Click "OK".
- If you wish to selectively delete files and cookies, click on the "Settings..." button. A dialog window will open. Click on the "View Files..." button. A window will open with a list of all your temporary internet files and cookies. You can highlight the files you wish to delete and hit the delete key or click Edit>Delete.
- To empty the History folder, click on the "Clear History" button and then the "OK" button.
Instructions for Mozilla/Firefox
To delete pages in your history:
Click on Tools, then Clear Private Data.
Make sure to select Cookies, Browsing History and Cache.
Click Clear Private Data now.
Instructions for Safari
Under History click clear History
Under Edit Click clear Cache
You can also select Private Browsing before using the web.
It will not track anything until it is turned off.
The above information was taken from The National Network to end Domestic Violence materials and The Alabama Coalition Against Domestic Violence website (www.acadv.org).